Brian Joyce, PhD
Dr. Brian Joyce brings a range of industry experience, academic excellence and leadership as the owner and director of Metallurgical Solutions, Inc. (MSI Lab) in Dayton, Ohio. He provides metallurgical and materials consultation, expert witness testimony, and forensic failure analysis for civil litigation with retentions by defendants and plaintiffs.
Established in 2002, MSI Lab is accredited by the American Association of Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) and is a GE approved S400 commercial testing laboratory providing metals testing, industrial forensic and litigation support to companies around the world.
Brian earned a BS in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering from Purdue in 1988 and served as a Flight Test Engineer in the U.S. Air Force from 1988 to 1992 where he tested advanced navigation systems on the F15E fighter. In 1992, he earned an MS in Cost Analysis from the Air Force Institute of Technology, and in 1997 he earned an MS in Materials Engineering from Wright State. Dr. Joyce earned his Ph.D. in Materials Engineering from Wright State University in 2004 where he studied the effects of thermal mechanical processing on microstructure development in titanium alloys.
Dr Joyce has served as adjunct faculty for Wright State University for Mechanical and Materials Engineering class subjects since 2000. In 2008, he created the “Metallurgical Solutions Scholarship” fund at Wright State providing funds to ease the burden of tuition for undergraduate material engineering students.
- Adjunct faculty, Wright State University, Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- BS, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, Purdue University
- US. Air Force flight test engineer, F15E Fighter
- MS, Cost Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology
- MS, Materials Engineering, Wright State University
- PhD, Materials Engineering, Wright State University
HONORS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Member, ASM International, TMS, Alpha Sigma Mu Professional Honor Society
- 2016 Tau Beta Pi Eminent Engineer Award
- 2017 Wright State University Alumni of the Year, School of Computer Science and Engineering
- WSU Mechanical and Materials Engineering External Advisory Board